NEW DRESS CODE POLICY!
Thomas Jefferson Middle School
Subject of Policy: Dress Code Policy
Policy Statement: To provide all students with expectations for appropriate attire for an educational setting, the following guidelines are established:
- Shorts, skirts, tunics, and dresses are allowed and must be knee length.
- Leggings/jeggings are not considered pants or outerwear and may be worn only under appropriate length shorts, skirts, tunics, or dresses.
- All shirts, tops, and dresses must cover the shoulders, not be low-cut or see through, and have sleeves. When raising arms above the head, the shirt/top must cover the midriff area so that no skin is showing.
- No clothing that is inappropriately fitted, controversial, obscene, or inappropriate in regards to violence, drugs, sex, alcohol, weapons, or anti-social messages may be worn.
- All coats and jackets are considered outerwear and are not permitted to be worn in class and should be stored in lockers. No hoodies are allowed to be worn in class.
- Pants must be of appropriate fit, be worn at the waist, be free of rips/tears/cuts, and be free of inappropriate messages.
- All hats, scarves, sweatbands, and bandanas must be kept in lockers during the school day. Scarves worn for religious reasons are exception to this rule.
- No sleep apparel (house-shoes, pajamas, etc.) are to be worn at school.
- Shoes are required at all times. Flip flops, footies, athletic slides, 2 inch heeled or higher shoes are not allowable. Shoes must have a closed toes and a closed heel.
The above items are general guidelines, but not an exhaustive list of inappropriate clothing and/or accessories. Therefore, administration has final decision making authority in the enforcement and interpretation of the dress code.
Message from the Principal
WELCOME to Thomas Jefferson Middle School for the 2016-17 school year; we are excited that you will be a part of our PATRIOT FAMILY!! At Thomas Jefferson, our faculty and staff are highly committed to our purpose, which is to create a student-centered learning environment, with high expectations for all. Our teachers keep it R.E.A.L. in Patriot Country, through building Relationships with students, Engaging them in their learning, Assessing their progress, and establishing Learning Objectives that reflect a rigorous curriculum. We look forward to getting to know you and working with you as we work together to continually improve our school and help your child reach their highest potential while in middle school with us.
Each year, as part of our continuous improvement efforts, our school prepares a Comprehensive School Improvement Plan, and we are always looking for parent support, suggestions, or ideas that should be included. Our improvement efforts continue to be focused on our 3 GOALS>>
" Increasing the Achievement of our kiddos!
" Increasing the Effectiveness of our staff!
" And Increasing the Positive Learning Environment in our school!!
In Patriot Country, we strongly believe that the families of our students are our most valuable partner in our improvement efforts and we invite you to participate with us to help us in our growth efforts. Check out our website, like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter!! We look forward to meeting you if you are new to Patriot Country this year, or if you are returning, we are anxious to get back to working with you and your family!! If you have any questions, please feel free to call the school at 485-8273 or 485-8975. Again, WELCOME to Thomas Jefferson Middle, the best kept secret in all of Jefferson County & It is going to be a spectacular year!!!
Proud Principal, Thomas Jefferson Middle School